Demolition Control and Advice

The Building Act contains provisions that enable local authorities to control demolition works for the protection of public safety and to ensure adjoining premises and the site are made good on completion of the demolition.

If you intend to demolish a building, or part of, that is 50 cubic metre or over, you must give notice to the local authority (the Partnership) under Section 80 of The Building Act 1984 and send copies of the notice to the utility services (Gas, Water and Electricity) and also to adjoining owners and/or occupiers.

If all is satisfactory the Partnership will issue a consent notice and schedule of requirements.

When the demolition has taken place the site should be cleared and made safe. A Building Control Surveyor will undertake a site inspection to ensure that the schedule requirements have been met. Attention is drawn to the Construction Design and Management Regulations 2007 that apply to all demolition works.

Applications for demolition should be made on a Demolitions Form and sent to North Yorkshire Building Control Partnership six weeks prior to the intended demolition, along with a site location and fee of £240.00.

NOTE: Planning permission may also be required and we advise you to contact the relevant Planning Department prior to undertaking any demolition work.

Further information regarding demolitions and what you need to know and do, can be obtained from the Health and Safety Executive.