How to Apply

There are three ways of submitting a Building Regulations application

Full Plans

Plans are deposited and checked for compliance with the Building Regulations at the Easingwold Office and an approval is issued. This requires the submission of constructional drawings, details and a specification of the intended scheme prior to commencement on site. All buildings which fall within the requirements of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 i.e shops, offices etc must be submitted by this method.

A Building Control Surveyor will carry out a detailed appraisal of the proposals and request any amendments if required. Once compliance has been achieved an approval will be issued which remains valid for three years from the date of deposit. Minor variations in construction can be agreed as work progresses, however, major changes may require amended plans and details to be submitted.

Building Notice

A Building Notice Application can only be submitted for domestic work and does not require the submission of plans with the Notice, other than in the case of a new building or extension, when a location plan will be required of a scale of no less than 1:1250.

The Partnership may require further details to be submitted during the construction process, i.e. calculations to ensure compliance.

Once a Notice has been received and providing all details are correct, a Building Notice Acceptance will be issued. Works can then commence within 48 hours of acceptance.


If you have already carried out building works without obtaining Building Regulation approval, you can submit a Regularisation Application to achieve compliance retrospectively. You will be required to submit a copy of the Regularisation Application form, together with plans showing the scheme as built.

Once you have submitted an application by this method, you will be asked to open up and uncover works as directed by the Building Control Surveyor, so that structural elements can be inspected and approved.

Provided the work is found to be satisfactory, a Regularisation Certificate will be issued. This will act in the same way as a Completion Certificate.

Ways to Submit

Applications can be submitted in a number of ways. This can be done online via the Online application submission facility or in the post to the address below.

As a drive towards more sustainable and environmentally friendly working practices, we will no longer be printing out electronically submitted plans or amendments. You are welcome and encouraged to submit your plans electronically for checking then once deemed compliant we will electronically store your plan and issue you an approval notice and plans which have been stamped up electronically. If you require a stamped up paper copy of the approved plans to accompany your approval then please post a paper copy.